The worklist feature in Vault Professional is a nice feature. It pops up information informing you of any change orders you need to take action on. The only problem is that you need to launch the Vault Professional client to get that feature. Chris Sawicki and Brian Schanen decided to change that with Vault Gadget.
Vault Gadget allows you to view your worklist from your Windows desktop, without the need to run Vault Professional.
- Vault Professional 2012
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file to “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets”. The result of this step is a folder named VaultCO.Gadget in the “%localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows Sidebar\Gadgets” folder.
- Right-click on the desktop and select the “Gadgets” menu item. The Gadget Gallery will be displayed.
- Find the “Vault CO Worklist” gadget (you may have to page through the gallery to find it). Click on the gadget and drag it onto your desktop. The gadget will appear on the desktop and error information will be displayed.
- Enter in your Vault connection settings.
- See the change orders in your worklist without running Vault Professional.
- Refresh timer - adjust how often Vault Gadget checks for worklist items.
- Click on a change order to view the properties.
- Click on the "Go To CO" link to launch Vault Professional and navigate to the Change Order.
As with all the samples on this site, the legal disclaimer applies.
4 weeks have passed and, as promised, 4 apps have been posted. Special thanks to all the members of the Vault team that submitted apps. We now return you to your regular Vault API blog.